Sunday, December 5, 2010

Brisket and a Turkey

Hello all, I was up at 6:00 to get the fire started for a long day of smoking. 15 deg* outside, wind shouldn't be too bad, a great day for a smoke.
I happened across a 12 lb. brisket and a 13 lb. turkey at wall-mart $1.65/lb for brisket and $.68/lb for the turkey. I don't need this food now, but I couldn't pass it up so I'm going to get it all smoked and have a kick ass meal today and a bunch of leftovers to freeze up and have for later.
Here is the link to my Smoking meat forum link:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/101136/brisket-and-a-turkey#post_569351
Getting the fire started:

I love the chimney starter, just fill it with coals put a wad of news paper under it and 15 min. later, pour it into the coal basket to get it all started, no fluid.
I separated the brisket into the flat and the point (here is a link on how to do this:
It isn't necessary to do this, but it gets allot of the fat out (I like to slice it for samiches :)  ) and cuts down on the time needed.
Here is pictures of the brisket all rubbed and rested in the fridge overnight:
 The rub I'm using is "Jeff's" if you don't know who Jeff is, you need to go to the Smoking-meat.com links I've posted.  He has a fantastic site and You couldn't learn more about Smoking, BBQ, Meats, etc. in any one place. And yes I did pay for the recipes for Sauce and rub. Even if you don't think it's good stuff, it's worth it to help support his effors.
That being said, It's good stuff Maynard!

Then, on the smoker:
The turkey is on the bottom rack.

I will add to this as the day goes on.

4 Hours:
Big piece hit it's stall or plateau at 153* when it starts rising and gets to 165 then into foil. The turkey is at 156 and rising nice and slow. 
The smoker is humming along at 220-230* PERFECT!

5 1/2 Hours:
The turkey is done, wrapped in foil I will know soon how delectable it turned out........Sweet!
I also pulled the smaller brisket off since it had hit 210*, it smelled SOOOOO good, I couldn't help but taste some of the outer ends before I wrapped it back up to rest with the turkey.
The larger piece hit 210* so I just shut down the heat on the smoker to let it slowly cool down to about 180 and it should about fall apart when I try to slice it up.......super sweet!!

8 Hours:
It's all done outside the UDS timed it just right. It didn't go down until I told it to!
Taters are boiled, ready for mashing soon I'll unwrap this food and get some pictures of it

Here they are, it was a great meal overall.
Turkey was perfect:

Brisket was good but a little dry, next time I will leave allot more fat on it. Live and learn:

Nice smoke ring on the slices, going to make some kick ass lunch meat !!

Next project will probably be a meatloaf.
Until next project,

Later Q
 

1 comment:

  1. dude that brisket looks so good! you gotta try smoking a corned brisket for some fresh pastrami. Easily one of the best things to come out of my smoker.

    ReplyDelete