Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ribs and Pulled Pork

Yummy, I LOVE spare ribs. This will be my first attempt! I will also be smoking my first full size "bone in" pork butt.

Today I'll be using "Jeffs" rub again, not only because I love the stuff, but it's what I had ingredients on hand for.
I rubbed the ribs and butt last night and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
I got up at 6:00 am to get the fire going. Temp outside is about 20 deg. and a light wind so keeping the temp. level shouldn't be too difficult.
Here are some pictures to get things started:
This butt weighs about 11 lbs. and I'm going to use a foil pan this time to catch more drippings.  The juices when separated from the fat make an excellent finishing sauce to have nice and juicy pulled pork.  I owe my neighbor some for payment for the drum he gave me to make the smoker, good folks across the road!

I have 2 racks this size about 3 lbs. each. I get my meat when I can at Jennings premium meat in New Franklin MO, they are a great family owned butcher shop and have great meat, cut to your specs. at really good prices. You can't find meat like this very often in your grocery store unless they have their own butchers working there.
And on to the smoker:

The smaller pieces are the smallest rib on the end of each slab and the side along the bottom of the ribs (there is a term for this part, I'll find it and post it later) these pieces are great to sample and snack on as the smoking goes on.

I will keep updates going as the day progresses, stay tuned and please leave comments, suggestions or any other criticisms.

5.5hrs. the ribs are done,
That bone literally fell out when I gently lifted on it. They are perfect!
Of course, I had to sample them.
I ate the whole slab! Good thing there is another one!  I'll give the wife a chance at some and if she don't want them, I'll take care of it, no problem :)

7 hrs. The pork butt is done smoking, I dialed down the heat to let it cool slowly and I will pull it off, wrap the meat in foil then separate the juice from the fat.  I'll throw another couple pictures up then.

10 hrs. Mmmm that pork butt turned out great, it came right apart with little effort.
The wife didn't want the ribs, but she went back for seconds on the pulled pork, that's a good compliment to me because she doesn't even care for pork :)
No more pictures, I tore it up before I remembered to grab my phone...........sweet.
Till next time,
Thanks for looking, 
Quinn 

No comments:

Post a Comment